Smartphone User Statistics in 2022 [INFOGRAPHIC]
Last Updated on October 21, 2021 by James Wilson
Mobile commerce is a rapidly growing market. It’s estimated that there will be 3.5 billion smartphone users worldwide in 2020. It’s imperative that businesses focus on mobile marketing to ensure success.
People use smartphones a lot. In fact, statistics show that most people spend 2 hours and 51 minutes, on average, per day on their mobile devices. We live in a society where people are addicted to their smartphones. Next time you’re out and about or in a coffee shop, pause and look around. Note how many people are using their smartphones.
Globally, there are currently 7.7 billion people in the world. Over 40% of these have a smartphone. There are opportunities to be made here, especially for marketers.
When you consider how many people will find your website on their mobile device, it’s extremely important to make sure you are using a great web hosting platform to ensure web hosting server speeds that will load your content in 3 seconds or less. Take some time to compare the best web hosting providers, it’s more important than you might think.
At UK Web Host Review we’ve researched and put together the top smartphone user statistics in 2020 and turned it into a handy infographic (embed code below).
Smartphones have undoubtedly become a worldwide phenomenon which means web designers and developers, app programmers, and business owners have to think and market their products and services in more advanced ways.
General Smartphone Statistics
- 77% of Americans have smartphones
- There were 204 billion apps downloads in 2019 worldwide
- Smartphone users worldwide will reach 3.8 billion in 2021
- 66% of smartphone users are addicted to their phones
- In the U.S., 63% of Google’s visits are via a mobile device
- Google Chrome drives 61.1% of all mobile search traffic
- 80% of internet users own a smartphone
- Customers spend 69% of their media time on their smartphones
- In 2019, the most searched thing on a mobile device was Facebook with 233,100,000 searches
- iPhone X was dubbed the best-selling smartphone in early 2018
- 50% of smartphone owners now check mobile devices, first thing in the morning
- The U.K. has the highest number for smartphone penetration at 82.2%
- About 3 in 5 consumers check their email on the go
- 75% of smartphone users expect to get immediate information while using their smartphone
- Worldwide, more people own a mobile phone than a toothbrush
Mobile usage statistics have the ability to give business owners the upper hand when facing their competitors. Understanding the essential mobile usage trends in 2020 and beyond can increase your ROI and CTR.
Mobile Usage on Websites Statistics
- A load time of 5 seconds or less guarantees 70% longer viewing sessions
- Google may remove your website from search engine ranking pages (SERP) if it is not mobile-friendly
- It takes less than a second for a mobile user to reach an opinion about your website
- 9 out of 10 customers are lost due to a lower mobile-friendly experience
- Slow loading images put off more than 50% of users from using a webpage
- 57% of users would be put off a badly designed mobile website
- Smartphone bounce rates are 37% compared to only 28% for tablets
- More than 50% of users who have a poor mobile experience have a negative view of the business itself
- Nearly half of users will be put off a website if the content is irrelevant
- The default standard load time of a website on a mobile device is 2 seconds
Understanding how mobile traffic accounts for certain statistics can help us predict future digital trends and ways in which individuals and businesses can optimise their websites to cater to mobile users.
Mobile Traffic Statistics
- Global mobile traffic accounts for 30 exabytes per month
- By 2022, this figure is expected to reach 77.5 exabytes per month
- Mobile devices account for more than 50% of all internet traffic
- In India, 73.67 percent of webpages are accessed via mobile phones
- In Africa, more than 60 percent of all web traffic was via a mobile device
- The most popular use for mobile internet is for watching movies or videos online
- The most downloaded apps on the App Store are Netflix, Tencent Video and Amazon Prime Video
Pitted against smartphones and the internet, social media is a huge competitor in the digital world. Nearly three-quarters of the global population are interacting with social media apps via their mobile phones which is an important statistic you can leverage to sit on the throne.
Social Media on Mobile Statistics
- 64% of Pinterest’s referral traffic comes from smart devices
- Snapchat has 186 million daily active users worldwide
- 55% of social media engagement is on a mobile device
- WhatsApp was downloaded around 66.6 million times
- 72.4% of the worldwide online population will be accessing social media via mobile
- 39% of the most used apps are social media apps
- India has the highest number of Facebook users
Local search and local search intent has never been more important than it is now. In the midst of a global pandemic, many individuals have shifted to shopping locally and supporting local businesses. Now, more than ever, small businesses should focus their marketing efforts on local SEO to ensure they get their slice of the pie.
Local Search Statistics
- 40% of all mobile searches are for a local business or interest
- 46% of all searches performed on Google are for local information
- 66% of smartphone users are more likely to purchase from companies with local information
- 88% of customers using local search trust the reviews they read
- 49% of consumers will only engage with a business with a minimum of a four-star rating
- 30% of consumers consider a business as reliable if they respond to reviews
- 68% of consumers provided a local business review upon request, using a mobile phone
- US local advertising revenues have exceeded $200 billion
- Brands that improve the accuracy of location information by only 20% see conversions rate increase by 216%
Download this infographic.