35+ Mind Blowing WordPress Theme and Plugin Statistics for 2021
WordPress is a powerhouse in the CMS market. In 2003, when it first launched, WordPress provided the world with a basic, yet awesome, blogging platform – an up and coming trend that the early noughties lapped up pretty quickly.
Since its arrival, WordPress has continued to grow and expand, now powering over 35% of all websites on the internet. It begs the question, why is WordPress so popular?
WordPress has a wealth of plugins and themes which are available to customise your website. With literally thousands of themes and plugins, WordPress gives beginners and experts the ability to truly take your website to the next level, with almost unlimited possibilities.
From eCommerce sites to membership subscriptions, forums to web hosting review sites like UKWebHostReview.com (yes, we use WordPress!), there’s a world of opportunity waiting for you when you install WordPress.
Whether you’re creating your own WordPress site, having one designed and developed for you, or you’re a developer yourself, these WordPress theme and plugin statistics for 2020 are going to blow your mind! If you’re eager for more, check out our WordPress statistics post and infographic which you are welcome to use and share!
WordPress Plugin Statistics
- Up until 2019, there were 18,262 plugins published
- 3% of WordPress plugins have never been updated
- 30 plugins published in the last three years have 100,000+ active installations
- 57% of plugins have never been rated or reviewed
- 76% of plugins have a homepage link
- 47% of plugins have a donate button
Most Popular WordPress Plugins
- Yoast SEO has over 135 million downloads and 5+ million active installations
- Akismet has over 133 million downloads and catches around 5 million pieces of spam per hour
- Contact Form 7 has over 112 million downloads
- Wordfence Security has over 121 million downloads
- Jetpack has almost 120 million downloads to help with marketing and security
- Visual Composer and Slider Revolution are two of the most popular paid plugins
- CodeCanyon has over 6,000 premium plugins available
- WooCommerce powers over 70 million eCommerce websites on WordPress
- WooCommerce is used in 22% of the top 1 million sites using eCommerce technology
- WooCommerce offers over 300+ extensions
- Its main competitor is BigCommerce with over 600+ active installations
WordPress Theme Statistics
- WordPress has over 7,850+ themes available in their theme directory
- The earliest known WordPress themes were called WordPress Classic or Default (Kubrick)
- A custom WordPress website design or theme could cost you anywhere from $500+
- The most popular WordPress themes of all time are Divi (6%), Avada (4%), and the Genesis Framework (7%)
- The average theme subscription membership costs around $145 annually
Envato Market WordPress Statistics
- The Envato Market has sold over $1 million worth of themes
- An item is sold every 5 seconds on the Envato Market
- Envato Market has over 11,000+ themes
- 70% of searches on the Envato Market are centered around niche themes
- The Avada theme on the Envato Market has over 500,000 sales
- 93% of sales on Envato Market are for responsive themes
- The average cost of a WordPress theme on the Envato Market is $59
WordPress Security Statistics
- In 2018, WordPress accounted for 90% of infected websites
- 41% of WordPress attacks are caused by vulnerabilities from the web hosting platform
- 52% of WordPress vulnerabilities are due to WordPress plugins
- 11% of the attacks are caused by WordPress themes
- 44% of hacking was down to outdated WordPress sites
- The biggest data breach occurred in 2011 when 18 million users were compromised
Download this infographic.